Sunday, November 29, 2009

we still love you utes



We went to a bar in DC to watch the big game with the DC area alumni group. Although we lost we had such a good time. The whole bar sang Utah Man after our touchdown. It was awesome.



Eric Weddle after losing to BYU in 2006:

“(BYU’s John) Beck made a play,” Weddle said. “We dropped eight into coverage and Beck pumped it three or four times and found the open guy.

“Give him a lot of credit. In a way I’m kinda proud for Beck, because he finally won a game for his team. For three years there have been a lot of critics that have questioned his ability to finish games and he did it tonight.”

Max Hall after beating Utah in 2009:

"A little bit, yeah. I don't like Utah. In fact, I hate them. I hate everything about them. I hate their program, I hate their fans, I hate everything."

"So it felt really good to send those guys home," Hall continued. "They didn't deserve it. It was our turn, and our turn to win. We deserved it. We played as hard as we could tonight. And it felt really good, again, to send them home, to get them out of here, and so it is a game I will always remember. I think the whole university, their fans and their organization is classless. They threw beer on my family and stuff last year, and they did a whole bunch of nasty things, and I don't respect them, and they deserved to lose."

Keeping it classy Max.

See you next year BYU, hopefully from the other end of the score board.

13 comments:

  1. Wow. I definitely hate BYU. Max couldn't be any more of a zoobie if he tried. Maybe next year we will throw some caffeine-free diet coke on him so that he doesn't cry so hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like Utah. I'm just glad that my BYU team was way better than the Utes this year. The U of U is definitely ranked way too closely to BYU. Love you guys, but you deserve comments like this when you have a blog like this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Morgan Scalley towards BYU in 2004.

    "I hate those pricks. I hate 'em with a passion. Ever since I was born."

    Keeping it classy Morgan. Just shows it goes both ways and it's a great rivalry that keeps on ticking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh, but Morgan Scalley didn't say that to a room of reporters, he said it to his team, before the game in the locker room. That is the difference. No need to be anonymous, we can take anti-Utah sentiment in stride.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now everyone, let’s be perfectly clear. No one really cares who “hates” who, who calls who a “prick”, etc, etc.
    Silly BYU fans, can’t you understand that we are merely reveling in the petty foolishness of your mysteriously beloved quarterback? It is delightful irony, the paradox of the PUBLIC behavior of such an esteemed student of the “God’s” University. He quickly dismissed attention from your very legitimate and hard fought win to the moral battle; the undertones of which have laced this rivalry for years. This year, a clear winner was determined, and the victory is so much more sweet than even winning the game was. You constantly decry the U for being full of lost and wayward souls, yet one of your star representatives just brought your entire organization back to ground level with the rest of us. Love to see those true colors. What’s that phrase, “judge not lest ye be judged”…something something.
    If you would stay off your pedestal in the first place, no one would have flinched at Hall’s comments, because no one is surprised he feels that way, nor does anyone really care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A real Ute fan wouldn't waste their beer by throwing it on anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Max Hall's comments is a perfect example to why so many people dislike BYU(and it's not just Utah fans).

    They are the ones that bring religion into it, by claiming their number one purpose is to bring people unto Christ. Then they go out and play dirty, and make stupid comments like Max Hall did.

    As a member of the church, I am flat out embarrassed by this. BYU needs to stop claiming the football program is a missionary tool, because it is the EXACT OPPOSITE.

    There is a reason in the early 90's a Sports Illustrated poll showed that BYU was THE MOST HATED football program. It is because they think they are holier than everyone else, they are self-rightous hypocrites. And they are the ones that mix religion with football, and it's not a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Seriously! Everyone at BYU is evil, hypocritical, holier-than-thou, and just stupid...not to generalize and judge or anything! It is just the way we are. We even teach it in the classrooms. EVERYONE is this way! We enjoy it. At least we can maintain the better-football-team-than-thou mentality without being hypocritical. I guess that is one way in which we aren't hypocritical at all! Sarcastically and hoping to still be your friend, Mr./Ms. Anonymous, whether I already know you or know you someday, Danny P.

    ReplyDelete
  9. By the way, I know Morgan Scalley and he is a great guy! In fact, I love being around him. He's hilarious and uplifting and just a good person. Whether he said it in a locker room or in a microphone that he hates BYU, his words are still just as public as Max Hall's because Morgan, too, is a public figure in our football community in the state of Utah. Maybe sometimes people get caught up in the heat of the moment and don't really mean what they say? I'm just glad that BYU's team is SOOOOO much better than the U of U's team this year. Obviously, because they didn't buckle under pressure and blow the game.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We love the Utes! Tough loss. We still have a good bowl record to uphold and we are looking forward to the game.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, way too heated.

    Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But I just want to say that there are great people that go the Y and great people that go to the U.(haha, My mom went to the U, my dad went to the Y.)

    Max Hall's comments were stupid and heated. The comments Morgan Scalley made were stupid and heated. Both are examples of public figures for each school speaking out of turn. Both generalized what they feel toward a select few from the opposing school and turned it into something ugly and hurtful. (I would assume both of their mothers are embarassed.)

    But their out of line comments about the other team doesn't mean we have to act that way. I love BYU, but that doesn't mean I can't still love Cara because she's a U fan. And I LOVE my cousin Bradly and he PLAYS for the U! I missed the part where football determines how you feel about a HUGE group of people- all who are individuals and can think and act for themselves.

    All of these generalized "I hate BYU" and "I hate the U" comments? Can't we just stick to the game like Cara did and say "We'll win next year!" And stop dropping to Max's level and causing more anger toward an ENTIRE group of people?? Isn't that kind of childish?

    "Annonymous" as far as this "BYU brings religion into it" deal goes... Honestly (aside from what anyone else says) do you really think God cares at all about football? Really? Just consider those religious comments to be stupid and move on.

    Deciding that Hall and Collie speak for every member of the BYU football team and the entire student body/professors etc at BYU is the same as Hall's original comment that those few drunk fans who harassed his family represent all of the U of U fans- let's not stoop to his level. (I know for sure none of my Ute family members are drunk and spitting at anyone at those games.)

    And finally I wanted to say I'm glad Hall had the guts to issue an apology statement even though I'm sure it was humiliating to admit he made a mistake. People make mistakes, I'm just glad he didn't let his go un-fixed for more then a day.

    (Phew! Sorry Cara! That was long! I think you are awesome and very VERY CLASSY!! I just looked at your jewelry again, I had forgotten that you had an Etsy shop! So cute! :) I'm thinking I might need a Christmas present for me...)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haha, I love all this.

    But just for the record, I don't think anyone likes Max Hall.... BYU or Utah fans.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love seeing people try to be peacemakers and yet still can't help but be douches at the same time.

    ReplyDelete